Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Historical Society Library Project: Phase One!

You know you are me when you are looking for a new/used computer… to donate to your local historical society so you can better re-organize its library. Sometimes the level of “sucker” I reach astounds even me. Mind, no one has told me to do this! This is entirely my own idea, just like volunteering for this recataloging project in the first place.
Tomorrow is my “official” start date for this task. This means I will be heading in there, guns blazing (anyone got a spare USB barcode scanner hanging around?), to EVALUATE what needs doing. How many index cards will I need? Should I type them up or handwrite them? (I am thinking typing them on the typewriter would have a particularly cool “historical” feel and be more legible. My handwriting slips in and out of cursive abruptly, sometimes several times in the same word.) How well are things cataloged to begin with? Is the Dewey system actually working at this locale or should I consider something else? Is so, what? (What did Ben Franklin use?)
I take my volunteer work very seriously. Any expenses for this project I intend to come up with myself, including a computer if it comes to that. I think it SHOULD, since half the reason I am rehauling the library is to make it more user friendly. I am a fan of using both card catalogs AND computer databases, it is great to have the option of using either one!

No comments:

Post a Comment