Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Typewriters

I am an old fashioned girl... she tells her blog.... on the internet... using a netbook.

Rather, I am a very NOSTALGIC girl- just ask anyone who knows me! It's one of my more annoying/endearing traits (depending on who you ask.) I even get nostalgic for things before my lifetime. This is part of why I want to work in museums for the rest of my life...

... it is also why I love typewriters.

I picked up a Smith Corona Skywriter a few years ago at a tag sale- amazing condition, came with its original travelling case too! (Oh, "portable" typewriters!) It's grey, it's small and it hails from the 1950s. The original warranty card still resides in the pocket of the travelling case, though the previous owner apparently never made good of it. (The postcard is still in there. Would have been nice if they had at least filled in the date so I could know the exact make of this little beauty.) I had a slight problem with it shortly after purchasing, but managed to fix it with scotch tape. (Can I do that with my netbook? No.) Now all it needs is dusting and a new ribbon and... voila! I can type away to my heart's content.

Today I ordered the new ribbon. This is where NEW technology is wonderful. I know of only one typewriter store "near" me and it is very out of the way. I will still try and get out there, maybe for maintenance. In the meantime I have found mytypewriter.com , which helped me find the ribbon for my exact model fairly painlessly. They also have some beautiful restored machines for sale, including some early electronic typewriters. Best of all... they have a list of famous authors and their typewriters, which is probably how I would shop if I did not have my dear little Skywriter.

(Isn't Skywriter an awesome name for a typewriter?)

Anyway, I am pretty excited about this today. Just thought I would share.

Cheers,
C.

No comments:

Post a Comment