Sunday, August 22, 2010

Covers I Like Better Than The Original Song

Confession: I love making lists. Somehow, even though they rarely are on the subject of anything useful, they give me the illusion of being a very organized person. (I assure you this is only an illustion, unless we are talking about my personal library.)

This morning, as I was listing to some Pomplamoose on YouTube, I started thinking about cover songs. Hence this list, as entitled above, in no particular rank/order:

(links to video/songs, enjoy!) 

1. Pomplamoose - Mrs. Robinson
This is the song that started the list. Nataly Dawn's voice just makes it for me.

2. The Sundays - Wild Horses
I am not sure WHY I like this more than the original, actually. I just do. (Maybe because it was on Buffy? Am I really that shallow? Well, yeah, probably.)

3. Tori Amos - Strange Little Girl
At this point on the list I am beginning to notice a trend: most, if not all, of my favorite covers are female vocals covering a song originally with male vocals. This song is a favorite of mine in either version, but Amos is preferred because of the haunting quality of her voice.

4. The Greencards - 50 Ways To Leave Your Love
Specifically? I like ladies covering Paul Simon. Seriously though, this group brings a force to the song I really find entrancing.

5. Sara Radle - Sweet Talkin' Guy
Sweet Talkin' Guy (Chiffons cover) by SARA RADLE - new song from upcoming record posted!
What?! Female soloist covering female group?! I am actually not sure if I like this one more than the original. Equal if not superior.

No comments:

Post a Comment