Friday, August 27, 2010

New Project: Recovering the Hero

Recently (as anyone following my twitter or facebook may realize) I have fallen in love with a fantasy book series: The Lee and Taro series (sometimes called the Heroes series because of the titles) by Moira J. Moore. These books are wonderful ‘light’ fantasy in a believable world with believable characters and I have been devouring them ever since Felicia Day mentioned them on her blog. (I figured, having a similar sense in humor, she would be a good person the book stalk.)

Almost everyone familiar with the books can tell you that the cover art is terrible. It is inaccurate to the characters within, plot elements, ect. AND they are just unattractive in general. (Really, google it! I don’t even want the pictures on my blog!) Honestly, I have been thanking various deities that the books are small mass markets because it makes them easier to hide from customers, friends and enemies. Carrying around these covers with me is actually mighty embarrassing!  Especially for someone who is usually carrying around the prettiest copy of a classic novel she can find.

Luckily, today I remembered that I am an artist. Not only that, I have recently been a student and worked in libraries, I have a pretty good idea of how to construct a durable book jacket. In case you cannot see where this is headed, here, I’ll spell it out: my next art project will be to make new covers for these books to my own liking! I will probably make a PDF of some sort (with folding instructions included) so others can print them out for free as well, if they like them. I may do this for other poorly cover-illustrated books in the future, now that I have overcome my fear of the fantasy and scifi mass market section at Boswell’s.

Anyways, that’s the plan. This probably means I WILL be updating Bombshellcat Studio again in the near future with concept sketches and the like.

Cheers,
C. 

1 comment:

  1. "Luckily, today I remembered that I am an artist."

    So glad that you did! I look forward to the results of this project.

    ReplyDelete